Amersham Town FC was formed in 1890. An inaugural meeting took place at the Crown public house, now a hotel, on 10 October 1890. The Chairman was a local headmaster who was very friendly with W. G. Grace and was, in fact, recommended by that great cricketer.
Among the original rules were no bad language on the pitch, that no player should wear any nails, an annual subscription of 1/6d ( or 7.5p ) and an agreement that the club colours would be black and white.
The club originally played at Barn Meadow, down the road from the current ground. Amersham Town moved to Spratleys Meadow in 1920, thanks to the generosity of a local entrepreneur - a Mr Brazil - who founded the famous sausage and pie company bearing his name.
Amersham joined the Hellenic League in 1952. The Clubhouse, a former school room, was erected in 1968 and extended to its current size in 1983. In 1998 the Club secured a ninety nine year lease on Spratleys Meadow and installed new floodlights and a new stand. In 2000, new pitches were provided across School Lane for the rapidly expanding Youth Section.
In 2004 Amersham Town was awarded Charter Standard Development Club status by the FA in recognition of the fact that it now provided teams for a wide range of age groups together with the supporting infrastructure.
The whole infrastructure of the club was upgraded in 2006/07. The original changing rooms, which were commandeered in the war as an emergency mortuary in the event of an air raid on Amersham, were demolished and modern facilities constructed. The pitch, which had a slope of 11ft 4 inches from touchline to touchline, was levelled and now provides an excellent playing surface and the clubhouse has been comprehensively refurbished.
The club, which is fortunate in having Graham Taylor as President, continues to develop and looks forward to the next one hundred years with considerable confidence.
This feature is currently in development but will be available soon.